A New Age of Shadows
The over-arching collective of academies that have been established for the careful teaching of control over particular schools of magic. The schools are as follows: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, and Transmutation. And yes, even Necromancy has a school established. They see it as necessary to carefully control rather than shun this school of magic. Unfortunately, Vigil only accounts for about sixty percent of all mages in the world. The others either don’t have access or don’t choose to enter the academies (Mages are not required by law to enter, though some are attempting to pass legislation for forced ‘conscription’ into the academies).
These academies are spread throughout the world:
- Abjuration: Two locations – Iceland and the Falkland Islands. It was decided by the Conclave that this school of magic should have two schools set up, and to pair them with the more dangerous schools of magic – Conjuration and Necromancy. The Abjuration school maintains physical and magical barriers around the schools in order to protect the non-mage populace from the training occurring within the schools.
- Conjuration: Iceland, Euro-American nation. This school is located on the small island of Iceland because of the potential dangers associated with the art. Because the school of Conjuration includes the creation of Golems and the summoning of various creatures from different locations on Earth or even something as extreme as a different plane, it was deemed necessary to isolate mages-in-training for this particular art. The school of Abjuration shares this building, to provide a physical and magical barrier in case any summoned creatures escape control.
- Divination: Greece, Euro-American nation. Home to the fabled Oracles – the strongest practitioners of Divination-school magic yet – Greece seemed the natural spot to establish the academy for this school of magic.
- Enchantment: Qatar, Middle-African nation. Shares an academy with the Illusion school. This academy focuses on training mages of the mind. In recent years they have been focusing on combating the effects of Psionics by creating counter-spells for the cybernetic-induced effects. It is believed that mages from this academy were responsible for researching and creating the cybernetic Psionics in the first place.
- Evocation: Death Valley, Euro-American nation. Death Valley seemed the logical choice for establishing the academy for the school of Evocation. With its dry, cracked earth – especially on the salt flats – there was little that could be destroyed by the practice of elemental magic on the grounds.
- Illusion: Qatar, Middle-African nation. Shares an academy with the Enchantment school. This academy focuses on training mages of the mind. In recent years they have been focusing on combating the effects of Psionics by creating counter-spells for the cybernetic-induced effects. It is believed that mages from this academy were responsible for researching and creating the cybernetic Psionics in the first place.
- Necromancy: Falkland Islands, South American nation. This school is isolated to such a degree that the academy itself is actually built underground. This creates two barriers for whatever horror might escape the control of a novice spellcaster and fail to be stopped by a professor. The Falkland Islands have also been evacuated of all non-mage populations in order to take further precautions. The Abjuration school provides magic and physical barriers that form a sphere around the school, as well.
- Transmutation: Near Aiur’s Rock, Oceania nation. The smallest school by design, the mages who find themselves here are capable of the fabled Alchemist’s trick of turning straw into gold. Or flesh into metal. Or water to fire. They are often sent Golems from the Conjuration school to practice on, and have a host of elemental guards from these experiments.